Weightless-P moves the LPWAN game on
Whatever you thought was possible, think again. Weightless is reimagining IoT connectivity with an entirely new open standard technology.
Other technologies force you to compromise on cost, range, power consumption, network capacity, QoS, data rate, efficiency, reliability, flexibility, security and features. Brand new Weightless-P is different, it will change the Internet of Things forever...
Click on the orange buttons below for detailed technical information
What is it?
Weightless-P is an ultra high performance LPWAN connectivity technology for the Internet of Things. It will use a narrow band modulation scheme offering a bidirectional communications capability to enable unrivalled quality of service (QoS) and add on functionality. The Standard will provide fully acknowledged 2-way communications offering both uplink and downlink capabilities and best in class QoS required for the stringent industrial IoT sector.
Weightless-P will offer the promised performance, network reliability and security characteristics of 3GPP carrier grade solutions but significantly earlier than these technologies are likely to come on line. In addition the Standard will enable substantially lower costs, comparable to other LPWAN technologies, and less than 100uW power consumption in idle state compared to more than 3mW for the best cellular technologies.
- FDMA+TDMA in 12.5kHz narrow band channels offer optimal capacity for uplink-dominated traffic from a very large number of devices with moderate payload sizes
- Operates over the whole range of license-exempt sub-GHz ISM/SRD bands for global deployment: 169/433/470/780/868/915/923MHz
- Flexible channel assignment for frequency re-use in large-scale deployments
- Adaptive data rate from 200bps to 100kbps to optimise radio resource usage depending on device link quality
- Transmit power control for both downlink and uplink to reduce interference and maximize network capacity
- Time-synchronised base stations for efficient radio resource scheduling and utilisation
- Supports both network-originated and device-originated traffic
- Paging capability
- Low latency in both uplink and downlink
- Fast network acquisition
- Forward Error Correction (FEC)
- Automatic Retransmission Request (ARQ)
- Adaptive Channel Coding (ACC)
- Cell re-selection
- Lower data rates with channel coding provide similar link budget to other LPWAN technologies
- 2km in urban environment
- Fully acknowledged communications
- Auto-retransmission upon failure
- Frequency and time synchronisation
- Supports narrowband channels (12.5KHz) with frequency hopping for robustness to multi-path and narrowband interference
- Channel coding
- Supports licensed spectrum operation
- GMSK and offset-QPSK modulation for optimal power amplifier efficiency
- Interference-immune offset-QPSK modulation using Spread Spectrum for improved link quality in busy radio environments
- Transmit power up to 17dBm to allow operation from coin cell batteries
- Adaptive transmit power and data rate to maximise battery-life
- Power consumption in idle state when stationary below 100uW
- Authentication to the network
- AES-128/256 encryption
- Radio resource management and scheduling across the overall network to ensure quality-of-service to all devices
- Support for over-the-air firmware upgrade and security key negotiation or replacement
- Fast network acquisition and frequency/time synchronisation
- Using standard GMSK and offset-QPSK modulation channels ensures broad availability of hardware and no dependency on a single vendor
- Much leaner and optimised protocol ensures reduced system complexity and cost compared to cellular M2M or forthcoming NB-IOT
- Limited additional complexity to enable quasi-symmetric bidirectional communication
- Maximal transmit power of 17dBm allows for integrated power amplifier
- Brings the reliability and performance of cellular technologies at a fraction of the cost by avoiding any legacy or backward-compatibility concerns
- Ensures interoperability between the manufacturers
- Provides for multivendor support to stimulate ongoing innovation and minimise end user costs
- Royalty free IP minimises production costs
The Weightless-P Specification is available for immediate download in the Weightless Developers' area (requires registration).
The Weightless Ignition Pack is a Weightless-P network in a box - a base station, end point modules, antennas, cables and a full Weightless-P software protocol stack. It's the starting point for your journey and retails at USD$1500 from Weightless Vendors. A limited number of FREE Weightless Ignition Packs are being made available to Weightless Developers. Click the button below to find out more.
A white paper on LPWAN Technology Decisions; 17 critical features is available to download below.